Content, so hot right now. Had content on the brain this past year or two? Thinking about how you can earn attention through the development of infographics, video, articles, white papers, etc.? Well, you are trending, my fellow marketer. Google says you are trending hard right now…
So, how have you prepared yourself? Maybe you read a bunch of popular blogs (e.g. Copyblogger, Marketingland, Search Engine Land, Content Marketing Institute)? Got your tips? Probably saw one of these “strategies” and now you are ready for action…
- Look at other people’s stuff (Brilliant, Search Engine Watch)
- Do something unusual or different (Another doozy, Search Engine Watch)
- Ask yourself, why, who, what, and other inquisitive words (just about everyone in this Marketing Land post)
- Know your audience (thousands of blogs)
- Determine your objectives (thousands of blogs)
Disclaimer: I love all the aforementioned sites. Great reads. Just about to make a point.
Don’t read any blogs. Don’t look for advice from purported experts. Most of these experts are the same people who became self-anointed social media gurus just five years ago. You are smart enough to know what makes something, anything, worthwhile. Worth seeing. Worth sharing.
My one piece of advice is this…
Before you publish any article, blog, whitepaper, infographic, etcetera, put each piece of content in front of five honest people. If any of them find it valuable, post it. If not, start over.
And one more tip (sorry, I know I said only one)…have those same five people check your grammar and spelling…twice. Nothing kills credibility on the web like “your” instead of “you’re.”